Mild to Moderate Sleep Apnea
• Lose weight
• Quit smoking
• Avoid alcohol, sleeping pills, sedatives
• Avoid caffeine and heavy meals with 2 hours of going to bed
• Exercise regularly, maintain regular sleep hours
• Oral Appliance Therapy (OAT)-dental device that fits inside the mouth, like an athletic mouth guard. OAT is a first-line treatment for patients diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea. OAT is comfortable, easy to wear, quiet, portable and convenient for travel.
Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea
• Continuous Positive Airflow Pressure (CPAP)-machine is used with a variety of breathing masks that cover the nose and mouth, providing a constant stream of air that keep the breathing passages open while sleeping. CPAP machines are being updated and improved; they are lighter, quieter and more comfortable.
• Sleep Apnea Implants-one of the newest treatments; involves the insertion of a pacemaker system that stimulates muscle to keep airways open for breathing during sleep.
• Surgery-increase the size of the airway; risks of complications and infections.
Glendora dentist, Dr. Anna Lee, is a trained dentist in Sleep Apnea who can assist you with treatment. Dr. Anna Lee performs an airway assessment and Sleep Apnea evaluations. Dr. Anna Lee also conducts a full evaluation of your teeth, mouth and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) to ensure that your teeth and jaw structure are healthy enough to wear an oral appliance.
If you have any questions, please call for a free consultation at 626-335-5114 or visit our sleep website at www.glendorasleep.com