Sleep apnea is a treatable medical condition. There are self-help strategies and lifestyle modifications that can reduce sleep apnea.
1. Bedtime tips for preventing/reducing sleep apnea symptoms
· Sleep on the side-Some patients snore or have sleep apnea when sleeping on their back. Patients can eliminate or reduce airway blockage simply by learning to sleep on their side.
· Prop the head up-Elevate the head of the bed by 4 to 6 inches, or elevate the body from the waist up by using a foam wedge or use a special cervical pillow.
· Open the nasal passages-Try to keep the nasal passages open at night using a nasal dilator, saline spray, breathing strips or a neti pot.
2. Alternative remedies for preventing/reducing sleep apnea symptoms
· Singing can increase muscle control in the throat and soft palate, reducing snoring and sleep apnea caused by lax muscles.
· Throat and tongue exercises may reduce the severity of sleep apnea symptoms by strengthening the muscles in the airway, making them less likely to close.